Maca powder is an versatile and exceptionally nutrient-dense food extract made from the root of the Peruvian maca, which has been cultivated in Peru for thousands of years.
Its benefits have long been treasured – considered by some to be a powerful adaptogen (a natural substance that many believe can help the body adapt to stress).
Thanks to its impressive nutrient content, unique flavour and handy versatility, maca powder is rapidly becoming a much sought-after item on our nation’s weekly shopping list. But what is maca powder and where exactly does this exotic-sounding ingredient come from? Well, to answer the question, it’s first necessary to travel to the other side of the world, to the fascinating continent of South America.
It is a natural, nutrient-dense food extract made from the root of the Lepidium Meyenii – a tuber crop that’s native to the high Andes of Peru. The root, which is somewhat similar in appearance to a small turnip or radish, is the most prized part of the maca, a hardy plant that flourishes at extreme altitudes and is thus especially suited to organic cultivation.
Maca powder is prepared by drying this special root at low temperatures (in order to preserve an optimal number of its naturally occurring nutrients) and then grinding into a fine powder. As a completely natural powder the colour of maca can vary considerably – from white and yellow to red, purple and even black.
Maca Powder Benefits
- Maca powder contains a wealth of beneficial nutrients, including vitamins (B1, B2, C& E), minerals, complex alkaloids, fatty acids and sterols.
- Is certified organic by “Organic Farmers & Growers”, the UK’s leading government accredited organic certification body
- Has been dried and processed at low temperatures in order to preserve an optimum number of its naturally occurring nutrients
- Is totally pure and free from fillers or any other artificial additives
- Is also suitable for those following a vegetarian, vegan or raw food diet
How To Use Maca Powder
Try stirring maca powder into raw food recipes for for spectacular results every time! Try it in particular with raw chocolate, they are a accompany each other perfectly!